Service 256 (Neath to Pontardawe) Changes from 1st April 2019March 19, 2019 5:22 pm
From Monday 1st April 2019, service 256 (Neath to Pontardawe) will no longer serve the lower part of Alltwen, i.e. Heol Phillip and Lon Tanyrallt.
Instead, from Alltwen Triangle the bus will continue down the hill between Alltwen Rugby Club and Alltwen Primary School and vice versa. This change is being made for several reasons:
- To improve punctuality and reliability
- Poor road infrastructure, particularly speed humps, causing damage to buses
- On-street parking issues
- To allow a larger bus to be used to provide more capacity needed at peak times
- Low usage along this section
To replace the service, First Cymru will be extending their service X6 from Pontardawe to Alltwen and back hourly throughout the day. The bus will depart Pontardawe at 50 minutes past each hour from 0850 until 1750 inclusive, running a clockwise loop via Heol Phillip, Lon Tanyrallt then back to Pontardawe. Please see their website or contact them on 01792 572255 for full details.
Tickets purchased on the new First Cymru service will be accepted for onward travel from Pontardawe to Neath on our service 256, and vice versa from Pontardawe to Alltwen with tickets purchased on service 256.
In line with this, and to improve general punctuality and reliability at peak times, there will be some minor timetable changes to service 256:
- On school days, the 0750 departure from Neath to Cwmtawe School will depart earlier at 0745, then running approximately 5 minutes earlier throughout
- On school days, the 0820 departure from Pontardawe to Neath will depart earlier at 0817, then running approximately 5 minutes earlier from Alltwen Triangle onwards
- Other journeys throughout the day from Pontardawe towards Neath will depart the same time as currently from Pontardawe, but will run approximately 3 minutes earlier from Alltwen Triange onwards
- Other journeys throughout the day from Neath towards Pontardawe will remain largely unchanged.